- Program Description
- Organization of Program
- Requirements for Admission
- Supplemental Criteria, Impact Status
- TEAS Exam
- Admission Process
- Insurance/Health Clearance
- Curriculum at Cottage Campus
- Information Sessions
- Contact Information
BSN Track 1 Program at Cottage Health System (Goleta Satellite Campus)
Prospective Students: Please be aware requirements are subject to change. Continue to check the Nursing website for the most up to date information.
In cooperation with Cottage Health System, the CSU Channel Islands (CI) Nursing program extends its generic (Track 1) program to a state-of-the-art classroom and simulation site in Santa Barbara, CA. The program is designed for the entry-level pre-licensure student, using the cohort model of class scheduling, and is a full-time program extending 2.5 years of 7 semesters including summers. Potential students will be eligible for admission after they have completed the required nursing prerequisites, GE prerequisite courses and are General Education Certified at the Community College level or have a previous Baccalaureate degree. The program will admit students annually each spring. The supplemental criteria for admission will be utilized to determine admission to the program.
Upon completion of the program students will be eligible to take the Nursing Licensing Examination (NCLEX) and become a RN, as well as receive a California Public Health Certificate.
The baccalaureate degree in nursing at CSU Channel Islands is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, 202-887-6791
- State of California Board of Registered Nursing
- Commission of Collegiate Nursing Education
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Cohort model
- Admission once a year, every January
- Location of classes: 5383 Hollister Avenue Suite 220, Goleta, CA 93111
- Program length: 2.5 Years Including Summers
[return to top]
NOTE: IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION FOR SPRING 2017, PREREQUISITE COURSES AND G.E. COURSES MUST BE COMPLETED BY THE END OF FALL 2016
-The following GE categories as needed for certification must be completed at the time of application. Fall in progress courses must show on Official Transcripts.
- *American Institution Requirements : 6 Units Total
- POLS 150 American Political Institutions or POLS 316 State & Local Politics & Policy (3). AND choose one course, 3 Units: Hist 270, HIST 271, HIST 272, HIST 275, or HIST 350
- *GE (Area 3A) Language (3)
- *GE (Area C1) Art (3)
- *GE (Area B4) Computers & Information Tech (not needed if GE certified)
- GE (Area C2) Literature (not needed if GE certified)
*Not required for post baccalaureate students.
-Have the following nursing prerequisite courses or their equivalent with a C or better:
- BIOL 210 Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 units with lab)
- BIOL 211 Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4 units with lab)
- BIOL 217 Medical Microbiology (4 units with lab)
- CHEM 110 Chemistry of Life (4 units with lab)
- our program will accept general, inorganic, organic, integrated chemistry, or chemistry of life (with associated lab if required at the institution where the course was taken). Cannot accept any introductory level chemistry courses.
- COMM 101 Public Speaking
- ENG 105 Composition and Rhetoric
- Completion of Critical Thinking course
- SOC 100 Introduction to Sociology OR ANTH 102 Cultural Anthropology
- PSY 100 Introduction to Psychology
- BIO 203 Quantitative Methods for Biology orMath/Psy 202 Biostatistics (3 units)
Due to our Impaction rate (status is granted annually by the CSU Chancellor's Office) a supplemental criteria application will be required to determine admission.
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) exam version VI results must be electronically sent to the Nursing Department during the Cottage Nursing Program's August application period.
Please visit our TEAS Exam info web page for more information.
Applications for the CSU Channel Islands Cottage Health System Nursing Program are open August 1st to August 31st.
- Apply to CSU Channel Islands (www.csumentor.edu) Declare major: BS at Cottage Health System.
- Apply to the Nursing Program (Nursing Application).
- Submit Official Transcripts to CSU Channel Islands Admissions (Camarillo, CA) AND to the Nursing Department (Goleta, CA) 5383 Hollister ave suite 220, Goleta CA 9311 in your Supplemental Criteria Packet.
PLEASE VIEW OUR READY TO APPLY WEB PAGE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
Students in the nursing program are required to have a health record and immunizations consistent with that required of clinical placement in local health care agencies and supply evidence of a physical exam prior to being placed in a clinical setting. Students will be required to successfully pass a drug screening and criminal background check.
If interested in BSN at Cottage Health System, it is highly recommended to attend an info session.